Roku Advertising Guidelines (“Guidelines”)
These Guidelines govern all advertising (“Ads”) placed with Roku, Inc., including advertising on the user interface of the Roku operating system, on any Roku-branded website and/or application (including The Roku Channel), and/or on any application or channel delivered through the Roku operating system. Roku reserves the right to reject any Ads in violation of these Guidelines, or in Roku’s sole discretion, to establish the times during which any Ads may run. These Guidelines are subject to change by Roku at any time.
• Ads will not promote products or services that are directly competitive with Roku, such as streaming set-top boxes, gaming consoles, sticks, smart TVs, audio speakers, etc.
• Ads must not contain false, misleading, fraudulent, or deceptive claims or content.
• Ads must clearly represent the company, product, service, or brand that is being advertised. Products and services promoted in the ad copy must be clearly represented, and the destination site may not offer or link to any prohibited product or service.
• Ads may not offer, promote or link to the following prohibited products or services: illegal narcotics; tobacco products; drug or tobacco paraphernalia; weapons, ammunition, or explosives; adult products or services, or products or services of an inherently sexual nature; products or services designed to violate or bypass copyright restrictions; counterfeit products; products or services that are harmful, threatening, harassing, defamatory, or invasive of another’s privacy or right of publicity; gambling and wagering products or services; products or services the sale of which violates any applicable law.
• Ads may not: include hate speech; discriminate against, or promote discrimination against, any individual or group; encourage conduct that violates any applicable law; infringe upon intellectual property rights, personal rights, or proprietary rights; contain nudity, depict people in sexually explicit or suggestive positions, or contain content of an inherently sexual nature that is inappropriate for a general viewing audience; contain obscene language; promote or display excessive violence.
• Ads may not suggest false relevancy to generic offers.
• Ads must run in a language that is relevant to the language of the channel and/or its target audience.
• Ads should be :15 or :30 in duration. Exceptions may be made for :60 ads.
• Each instance of advertising, sponsorship, underwriting, presented-by credits or other third party attribution in channel application logos or banner ads must be expressly pre-approved in writing by Roku.
• Ads may not enable the installation of third party-channel applications.
• Ads may not offer or link to search functionalities across multiple Roku channel applications.
• Ads may not collect personally identifiable information, including, but not limited to, IP Addresses, or enable RFI request for information data collection capabilities without express prior written approval from Roku. Ads may not download or install executable code.
• Ads may not contain Easter eggs or any hidden functionality.
• Ads may not include pixels, third-party tags, or Software Development Kits of any kind without express prior written approval and certification by Roku.
• Roku reserves the right to review the source code used in ads.
• Ads should be available in SD and HD formats suitable for display on a large screen TV. Low resolution (less than 720 x 480p) or low frame rate (less than 30 fps) is not permitted.
You agree to the following additional guidelines if you are a channel publisher displaying Ads within the user interface of the Roku operating system or within any application or channel delivered through the Roku operating system.
• Channel publishers should refer to their Roku application distribution agreement(s) to remain in accordance with general content guidelines.
• Applications may not run an unbalanced volume of advertisements relative to content (“Ad Farms”).
• Ads which play in applications that enable “auto-rolling” or “auto-playing” (e.g., starting a new asset automatically upon completion of a previously-viewed asset), or deploy other tactics designed to create ad impressions, rather than quality content experiences, are subject to Roku review.
• Mid-roll ad breaks/pods are allowed only after a minimum of seven (7) mins of content have been viewed, and thereafter, at no fewer than seven-minute intervals.
• Ad Pods in AVOD content may run no longer than two minutes, with no more than two ads of less than :30 in any given pod unless Roku provides express prior written approval otherwise.
• Ad counter and ad duration must be visible for every ad (except for interactive ads).
• Applications may not run the same ad multiple times in one single break/pod.
• Individual ads must not repeat more than two times per hour per Unique User.
• Individual ads must not repeat more than five times per day per Unique User.
You agree to the following additional guidelines if you are an advertiser, agency or channel publisher purchasing the placement of Ads within the user interface of the Roku operating system, on any Roku-branded website and/or application (including The Roku Channel), and/or on any application or channel delivered through the Roku operating system .
ADDITIONAL GENERAL GUIDELINES
• Ads to be served by Roku must be in a final state and received five (5) business days prior to scheduled start date of the placement.
• Ads may not include images comprised of more than twenty percent (20%) text.
• Ads should primarily be used to promote specific content, and should deep-link into the title or series being promoted. Roku will not promote specific content without a deep-link. Generic, app promotions are less effective and are only permitted on a limited basis at Roku’s discretion.
• Ads must comply with Roku’s creative specifications.
SMS, MMS or OTHER TEXT MESSAGE CAMPAIGNS
• Each Ad may only be used to promote a single message program and may not be used in connection with any recurring message programs.
• Ads may not refer or link to any recurring message program.
• Ads must disclose, in a clear and conspicuous manner, what the recipient will receive via SMS text.
• Ads and all associated SMS texts must contain clearly labeled links or URLs to applicable terms and conditions of the program being promoted, and the applicable privacy policies with up-to-date, accurate information about data collection and usage.
• Ads and all associated SMS texts must correctly identify the brand name or sponsor for the program.
• Ads must disclose that message and data rates may apply.
• Ads must comply with all legal and regulatory requirements and guidelines, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, 47 U.S.C. § 227, the Federal Communication Commission’s rules under 47 C.F.R. § 64.1200, and the requirements of the CTIA Short Code Monitoring Program: Short Code Monitoring Handbook.
Please check this link for any updates direct from Roku